Window Width = px
Progress Bar Width = px

Help Our Cause

My User


Chris Fenton

Welcome to my Sahara Desert Challenge for Shelter fundraising page!

As a real estate agent in the Alberni Valley, my job is to help our clients find the perfect place to live and I can't imagine ‘home’ being a place of fear and danger. Sadly, on any given night in Canada close to 6,000 women and children stay in an emergency shelter because it’s not safe for them to be at home. At the same time, 300 are turned away each night because all the shelters are full. Even more tragically, on average, every 6 days in Canada a woman is killed by her current or former partner. In too many cases women go to their local shelter because they are literally running for their lives.

I want to help these women and children by ensuring a safe place and support services are available to them when they need it. They deserve our help and our encouragement that a brighter future is possible. I also recognize that educating our youth about building healthy relationships is the key to breaking the cycle of family violence in Canada. Will you please join me in making a difference?

In November 2019, I will be trekking 100 km across the Sahara Desert in support of the Royal LePage Shelter Foundation. For 5 straight days, I will be representing Port Alberni along with my colleagues from Royal LePage offices across Canada in hiking up to 7 hours a day across difficult terrain in this hot and dry desert climate, with temperatures dropping considerably at night. We will be sleeping in large group tents, using camping-style bathroom facilities, and going without electricity, cell service and the other comforts of home. To be eligible to participate, I must raise at least $5,000. This journey will not be easy and it has already started for me. I will be preparing physically and mentally for months and will be covering my own travel costs.

Each dollar we raise and every step we take will make it easier for women and children in Port Alberni walk safely away from violence. There are absolutely no administrative fees taken from your donation (as Royal LePage pays all Shelter Foundation administrative costs). 80% every dollar we raise will stay in the Alberni Valley as a donation to the Alberni Community and Women's Service Society (ACAWS), while the other 20% will be used on a national level for education programs.  

Click SPONSOR ME to help me reach my fundraising goal. Thank you for your support!

Note: The Royal LePage Shelter Foundation issues tax receipts in February for all donations ($20+) made in the previous calendar year.

  • Goal $5,000.00
  • Raised $5,833.00
Top Donations
  • Virginia and Chad - $625.00
  • The Fenton Team - $383.00
  • Marilyn Koehle - $300.00
  • Peter McGuire - $300.00
  • Jaime Johnston - $250.00
Donor Date Amount Message
The Fenton Team 11/13/2019 $383.00
Marilyn Koehle 11/13/2019 $300.00
Harold & Irene Austin 11/13/2019 $100.00
Shirley and Jim Anderson 11/7/2019 $50.00 Good Luck Chris
Virginia and Chad 11/1/2019 $625.00 All the best for this experience of a lifetime. So proud of you for sponsoring this worthy cause
View All